Fan Control Success on IBM T40?

Alexandre Sunny Kovalenko Alex.Kovalenko at verizon.net
Tue Apr 27 16:56:41 PDT 2004

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:52:20 -0700 (PDT)
Jeffrey Katcher <jmkatcher at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've been playing with adaptive power management for my Thinkpad T40, running
> an up-to-date current with ACPI.  While I can cycle the clock on demand, I'm
> noticing that once the fan comes on, it stays on.  Judging from the visible
> variables, there's not a lot of control there.  I even notice the lack of
> battery time, though I get a coherent number from apm.  Can I do anything to
> remedy this?  I'm running BIOS 2.03 and have tried a slightly patched DSDT
> with little visible difference.  There is a later BIOS, but as I don't have
> Windows or even a floppy, it's a pain to try (also I've really been
> burned by IBM BIOS upgrades before on an older A20p).
>
> Jeff Katcher
>
> ---- sysctl hw.acpi dump ----
> hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S3 S4 S5
> hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
> hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S1
> hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: S1
> hw.acpi.standby_state: S1
> hw.acpi.suspend_state: S3
> hw.acpi.sleep_delay: 5
> hw.acpi.s4bios: 0
> hw.acpi.verbose: 0
> hw.acpi.disable_on_poweroff: 1
> hw.acpi.reset_video: 1
> hw.acpi.cpu.throttle_max: 8
> hw.acpi.cpu.throttle_state: 8
> hw.acpi.cpu.cx_supported: C1/1 C2/1 C3/85
> hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: 0
> hw.acpi.cpu.cx_history: 10808/0 0/0 0/0
> hw.acpi.thermal.min_runtime: 0
> hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate: 10
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 3002
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active: -1
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.thermal_flags: 0
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: 3617
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._HOT: -1
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT: 3662
> hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx: -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
> hw.acpi.battery.life: 100
> hw.acpi.battery.time: -1
> hw.acpi.battery.state: 0
> hw.acpi.battery.units: 1
> hw.acpi.battery.info_expire: 5
> hw.acpi.acline: 1

What I have done to my machine (Averatec 3140H) is ripping apart RTEP method
in ASL which was doing fan control and creating _ACx/_ALx pairs with the proper
power devices out of it.

I was lucky, since machine:

-- actually had fan management
-- it was somewhat readable in the sense that I was able to recognize pieces
   that are turning on fans at the different speed
-- it has hardware emergency shut-off on overheating (this is the most important
   thing, since chances of laptop meltdown are fairly high with this kind of work).

My ASL also had _TMP method which was returning value, stored in some location
during startup and never updated afterwards. I was lucky again to find method,
which actually does return current temperature and then calling it from _TMP.

If you are interested, please let me know and I will send you original ASL and
the end result.

--
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko.