Planning to stop CTM in November 2018

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Thu Jul 12 19:41:49 UTC 2018

"Julian H. Stacey" wrote:
> "Montgomery-Smith, Stephen" wrote:
> > I am thinking of stopping production of CTM updates in November 2018.
> > The reason is that the computer it operates on uses FreeBSD-10 which
> > will go EOL in November 2018.  If I update to FreeSBD-11, then I will
> > have to rebuild the gnupgp port.  But the new version doesn't accept the
> > current keys.  I could create new keys, but it would be a lot of effort.
> >  Considering the number of people using CTM, I don't think it is worth
> > the man-hours.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> Unfortunate,
> What's stopped more people benefitting from CTM is lack of PR I think,
> as few non users realise CTM's advantages: ideal for intermitent
> connectivity (& low bandwidth & reproducibility).  Stock up with a
> load of compressed deltas while the net is connected & free eg on
> home/work dsl/broadband flat-rate, before hitting the road with
> expensive mobile tarrifs, or behind company firewall that blocks
> non http & mail.
>
> Anyone fancy using https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi
> to submit diffs for manuals & web to note that ?
>
> I've not used key signing, always been on my ToDo list, never had time,
> I wonder what proportion of users use those keys.
>
> I wouldnt worry too much if your generator host hits 10 EOL:
> my ctm.berklix.org delta archive is also available & runs 10, & I
> never seem to find time to upgrade on time.  (elsewhere I still
> have boxes running far older for good reasons, as well as
> current on others).
>
> PS sorry if anyone noticed ftp:// & http:// ctm.berklix.org was off
> line for a few hours Sunday afternoon TZ=+02:00, an accident during
> ... an upgrade ;-) (current@ Subject: How to add su to /rescue ? )

PS how about when the time comes for new keys, leave keys broken
until someone who wants to receieve with working keys offers to help ?

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, Computer Consultant, Systems Engineer, BSD Linux Unix, Munich
 Brexit Referendum stole 3.7 million votes inc. 700,000 from British in EU.