Promise RM8000 news [was Re: aic7xxx]

Petriz, Pablo ppetriz at siscat.com.ar
Mon Jul 19 09:40:19 PDT 2004

Good news!? Ok, something good is happening when the tower has 1 disk less.

I too have the tower functioning OK since i removed one disk!

My configuration is disk 1 to 6 on raid5, disk 7 spare, empty bay 8.
The removal was only to use that disk for backup purposes on other machine,
but since that the tower is running ok. We rebuild the array, create a
filesystem over the 1.5TB of the raid5, run badblocks over the entire raid
and it works! Then we began to feed the raid with data and it's working.

The other phisycal change was the serial cable. I was monitoring the tower
from a second Windows machine in order to use webpam. Now i have the cable
connected to the same server that has the scsi cable and i'm checking via
minicomm (thanks Todd). I don´t think the serial cable could affect it...

So till next fail, we can say that the problem is to have 8 disks in the
tower.

Other thing to consider: One of my tests was to use an old SCSI card on my
server, and it works fine; but it all happens at the same time: installing
the old SCSI and removing the disk! Well, now the server has the same
configuration that has when it failed (using the on board SCSI), so the
big change IS the disk removal.

Lets wait and keep in contact.

PABLO