init_modules no device

kk maddowx kk_maddox2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 13 13:56:15 PDT 2002

Hello,

I recently installed an Adaptec 19160 scsi card in a  machine running red hat 2.2(20) kernel. I configured the kernel to use the aic7xxx which from my reading will accomodate the 19160 just nicely. Running "modprobe ai7xxx" would give an error "Unresolved symbol memcopy." I imagined I had done something wrong building my drivers, so I did  a clean remake of the modules but still the same error message. After many hours I decided to just update the kernel to 2.4(18). Now when I try to run "modprobe aic7xxx" I get the error:

 modprobe aic7xxx
/lib/modules/2.4.18a/kernel/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic7xxx.o: init_module: No such
 device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including inva
lid IO or IRQ parameters

I have the following alias in my /etc/modules.conf"

alias scsi_hostadapter aic7xxx

and I verified the existence of aic7xxx.o under the /lib/modules/2.4.18

All I am trying to do is install a scsi tape drive and so far this has taken 6 days and I still don't have this scsi card working. I am at my wits end, can someon help me out or point me in the right direction as to how to resolve this problem. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks

kk