Ultra 160 Support in Redhat 7.1 (aic7xxx 6.1.7)

Justin T. Gibbs gibbs at scsiguy.com
Sat Oct 20 10:18:48 PDT 2001

>Now the funny parts:
>if I leave the adapter-config to 160MB/s everything works, except for many
>error-messages. If I reduce the speed in the Controller-Setup to something
>lower (tried 80,40,20,10) there are much more error-messages and the
>system hangs after the scsi-scan shping endless SCSI-Errors.

Its not that unexpected.  At 160, CRCs are used to verify all transfers.
CRCs are much more robust than the parity protection scheme used at
other speeds (actually any time we don't use double transition clocking,
but few devices support this below 80MHz).  You may be getting undetected
data corruption at these lower speeds.

>If I disable LVD by using an old non-LVD-TErminator the system speeds down
>to 40MB/s and everything works fine (I'm using the system in this mode
>now).

In SE, half the signal pins used in LVD become grounds.  Your problem is
on one of these pins.  It could be a problem with a bad solder joint or
bent pin, on either the initiator, target, or terminatoror.  You seem
to have exhonerated the cable.

--
Justin