adaptec AAA-UDMA raid ide

Geoffrey Goodrum ggoodrum at perigee.ncdc.noaa.gov
Tue Sep 5 06:11:13 PDT 2000

Michel,

Unfortunately, you are out of luck.  From the aic-7xxx driver source:

<quote>

Bus Types
----------------------------
R - Raid Port busses are not supported.

The hardware RAID devices sold by Adaptec are *NOT* supported by this
driver (and will people please stop emailing me about them, they are
a totally separate beast from the bare SCSI controllers and this driver
can not be retrofitted in any sane manner to support the hardware RAID
features on those cards - Doug Ledford).

<unquote>

In the past, Adaptec has not been very supportive of Linux driver
development.  You should contact them and ask about Linux drivers for your
card.  The more customers that demand support, the more likely it will
happen.  It worked for me with AMI and the MegaRAID card.

Otherwise, return the card and get one that is supported.  You should also
consider software RAID, which outperforms most hardware RAID controllers
(various caveats apply).

Good luck!

Geof

On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Michel MENGIS wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> since I test the adaptec AAA-UDMA (ide raid card) under win2k and winnt, I really want to use it on linux or freebsd...
>
> Do you think that it's possible to get a new aic7xxxx.c file that support AAA-UDMA ?

Geof Goodrum