Problems with Adaptec 29160.....Weird..

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Fri Jul 14 07:18:15 PDT 2000

Steffen Hansen wrote:

>    With Kernel 2.4.0-test1 (aic7xxx version 5.2.0) and #define MMAPIO commented
> out as Doug suggested, the server boots ok... BUT - (don't try this at home kids
> ;-)
> weird stuff happens. X goes straight to h***.. Completely dead. Then when I'm
> trying
> to run Xconfigurator the server crashes. Even with magic sys key compiled into
> the
> kernel I can't do anything...
>
>   Anyway. I'll keep you posted as of what happens next :.--)

This suggests that the BIOS in the machine has accidentally allocated
overlapping I/O ranges in the PCI config space.  Try moving the aic7xxx
controller to a different slot then going into the BIOS and telling it to
reset the configuration database and then see if the machine works any better.

--

 Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>  http://people.redhat.com/dledford
      Please check my web site for aic7xxx updates/answers before