2.2.X+scsi+ide=timeout mystery

andy at netfall.com andy at netfall.com
Mon Jan 24 16:59:13 PST 2000

Welcome to the club.  I've had many IDE related problems with LILO.
{off-subject gripe follows} LILO's complete inability to handle large
disks is a real problem for me.  Also, with just an IDE disk plugged
into one system of mine, if I ran lilo to do it's thing after building
a new kernel, on boot up it only managed to say 'LI' before hanging.
Taking the disk out didn't help, but taking the disk out, booting off a
rescue floppy, and rerunning lilo again (no changes to lilo.conf) and
the system would boot again.  I have another system, lilo on the hard
disk stops in the same spot ('LI') on bootup as long as I have two IDE
disks installed (the ide config doesn't matter: all permutations using
two IDE channels were tried).  Didn't matter what other ide devices
(CDROMs) were or were not attached or in what configuration.  Remove
either disk, and it would go.  Booting off a floppy had no such
problems, even though they were the same version of lilo.  Obviously I
usually use non-ide disks (I AM on this list), so I don't see this very
often.  Anybody know when these many deficiencies of lilo are planned
to be addressed?  Sorry for being a bit off subject.

I haven't really had a problem once the kernel loads.