timeout when detecting cd

Ariel aslinux at dsgml.com
Thu Jan 13 09:59:27 PST 2000

There is a bug in the aic7xxx driver which was introduced between version
2.2.9 and 2.2.10 of the linux kernel. Unfortunately that is a pretty big
diff, seems that scsi support was rewritten at that time.

The symptoms are that when the aic7xxx driver loads it prints out all the
attached scsi devices. When it gets to the CD it gives an error about
timeout, then starts trying to reset the bus, then tries harder (it's
words), but never gets anywhere in that loop.

Attached below is info from /proc/scsi and /proc/aic7xxx/0 from a debian
install running 2.0.38, if you need output from a later kernel, let me
know and I can install that (up to 2.2.9).

I played with the various boot options, none fixed it, verbose printed
out lots of message far faster then I could read them, and panic on abort
gave a lot of hex numbers, with no apparent way of saving electronically
other then a picture with a digital camera (if I had one :)

Anyway, if there is any sort of info that you need that will help debug
this let me know what (and how) to collect and I will.

I'm pretty sure this is the right place for this, but I don't know if
anyone reads this list since I couldn't find anyplace with an archive
of it. So if you get this and can help please let me know, if only so that
I'll know someone is looking at this. (Even if you don't have a solution
right away.)

Thank you,
	-Ariel

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: MICROP   Model: 3387NS           Rev: x43h
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: CONNER   Model: CFA540S          Rev: S0A2
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
  Vendor: CHINON   Model: CD-ROM CDS-535   Rev: Q14
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: AIWA     Model: GD-8000          Rev: 0119
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Adaptec AIC7xxx driver version: 5.1.13/3.2.4
Compile Options:
  TCQ Enabled By Default : Disabled
  AIC7XXX_PROC_STATS     : Enabled
  AIC7XXX_RESET_DELAY    : 15

Adapter Configuration:
           SCSI Adapter: Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adapter
                           Ultra Wide Controller
    PCI MMAPed I/O Base: 0xe0802000
 Adapter SEEPROM Config: SEEPROM found and used.
      Adaptec SCSI BIOS: Enabled
                    IRQ: 11
                   SCBs: Active 0, Max Active 2,
                         Allocated 15, HW 16, Page 255
             Interrupts: 2917
      BIOS Control Word: 0x1896
   Adapter Control Word: 0x005f
   Extended Translation: Enabled
Disconnect Enable Flags: 0xfffe
     Ultra Enable Flags: 0x0001
 Tag Queue Enable Flags: 0x0000
Ordered Queue Tag Flags: 0x0000
Default Tag Queue Depth: 8
    Tagged Queue By Device array for aic7xxx host instance 0:
      {255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255}
    Actual queue depth per device for aic7xxx host instance 0:
      {1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1}