Trouble installing Linux on aic-7896N

Ethan C. Baldridge ebaldridge at unimatrix.com
Thu Nov 18 14:51:13 PST 1999

Hi,

we're trying to install Mandrake 6.1 onto a machine with an Intel
L440GX+ server motherboard, which has a built-in SCSI controller,
chipset aic-7896N.  Autoprobing doesn't detect any devices.  If I look
at tty4, it shows:

scsi : 0 hosts

If I try to specify module parameters, the install hangs until I switch
to tty4 and hit Ctrl-C, then tty1 returns the same no devices found
message as an autoprobe does.  The only difference is if I specify the
module parameter 'extended', in which case the install hangs until I
press Ctrl-C, when it produces a kernel panic (unable to find root fs)
and locks up the machine.  Needless to say, this is annoying :)

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,
Ethan Baldridge
Systems Administrator
UniMatrix International

--

The only reason I keep my MS-DOS partition is so I can mount it like the
bitch it is.