New adaptec 2940UW Pro

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Sun Dec 12 19:22:37 PST 1999

Ruben I Safir wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm trying to get this card to run on a 2.0.036 Kernel for a scanner.
> The card shows the scanner when booting, and then it's givig some
> warning message about the bios not booting or not found.  It's at the
> store and I'm home now.
>
> When Linux boots up, the scsi Host show 0 and despite compliling the
> scsi drivers into the kernel(as oposed to modules), I still can't get
> the thing to show any evidence of life.  I show a posting on Deja News
> that the card is not supported.  Is that true?  Is the 2940UW supported
> well with the 2.0.36 kernel?

The 2940 UW is supported, but you have a 2940 UW Pro.  Those are not the same
thing.  You need the aic7xxx driver version 5.1.18 or later to properly
support that card.  I no longer make patches against the 2.0 kernel series (it
takes too much time to keep up with so many kernel trees, so the latest
drivers go with the latest kernels).  However, prior to my stopping support of
the 2.0 kernel series I did make a kernel patch to update 2.0.36 to the 5.1.19
aic7xxx driver.  The patch can be found at
http://people.redhat.com/dledford/aic7xxx.html

--
  Doug Ledford   <dledford at redhat.com>
   Opinions expressed are my own, but