problem with new aic7xxx driver on asus p2b-ds motherboard

Perry Wagle wagle at cse.ogi.edu
Sat Aug 14 22:09:41 PDT 1999

Hi Again --

I figured out that my

    Vendor: YAMAHA    Model: CRW4416S          Rev: 1.0e
    Type:   CD-ROM                             ANSI SCSI revision: 02

causes my aic7xxx driver to go into an infinite loop timing out when probing
for scsi id's that happen to be unused at the moment, when running linux
kernel 2.2.5 or 2.2.11.  The cd-r writes cdroms just great under linux
kernel 2.0.36.

The timeouts happen on either of the two scsi busses:

  scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.19/3.2.4
         <Adaptec AIC-7890/1 Ultra2 SCSI host adapter>
  scsi1 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.19/3.2.4
         <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra2 SCSI host adapter>

where the first is the on-board scsi on my ASUS P2B-DS motherboard, even
with the latest bios flashed (1010).  The timeouts happen even when the
CD-R is alone on the second bus.

Does this indicate a problem with my Yamaha CD-R, or with the aic7xxx driver?
That is, if I send the Yamaha back under warrantee, what am I complaining
about?

If its the driver, what do/can I do now?  Is a fix in the pipeline?
How do I help facilitate a fix?

-- Perry Wagle (wagle at cse.ogi.edu)