can aic7xxx driver be detected twice

christian.klein klein002 at bama.ua.edu
Tue Apr 13 14:27:12 PDT 1999

I sent this once with no responses, so i figured that i'd try it again....

what i want to do is the following:

have 2 aic7xxx cards in the system and a buslogic card with one 2940
detected as scsi0 and the other detected last (in my case, as scsi3).

so, in a nutshell, what i want is:
2940UW  scsi0
buslogic bt932 scsi1,scsi2
2940au scsi3, to be used for external devices that won't always be
connected (ie, i don't want my sd* device names to change when i attach
stuff externally).

i boot off of an adaptec 2940UW (scsi0, 2 disks, 2 cd roms)
scsi1 and scsi2 is a buslogic bt932 (dual channel narrow) with 2 4.3 gig
narrow barracudas (1 on each channel) as a raid 0

every time i compile a new kernel, i have to edit
linux/drivers/scsi/hosts.c and reorder the array so the adaptec card gets
detected first.
there are comments in this file that say:

/*
 *  The scsi host entries should be in the order you wish the
 *  cards to be detected.  A driver may appear more than once IFF
 *  it can deal with being detected (and therefore initialized)
 *  with more than one simultaneous host number, can handle being
 *  reentrant, etc.
 *
 *  They may appear in any order, as each SCSI host is told which host
 *  number it is during detection.
 */

 can the adaptec entry be in there twice, once before buslogic and once
after?  is this possible?  can the aic7xxx driver handle this??

christian
klein002 at bama.ua.edu