Linux - unexpected interrupt...

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Wed Apr 7 21:14:59 PDT 1999

Christian Brandt wrote:

> Apr  4 18:39:14 lance kernel: unexpected IRQ vector 77 on CPU#1!
> Apr  4 18:39:22 lance kernel: unexpected IRQ vector 70 on CPU#0!
> Apr  4 18:41:35 lance kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason 2c.
> Apr  4 18:41:35 lance kernel: Dazed and confused, but trying to continue
> Apr  4 18:41:35 lance kernel: Do you have a strange power saving mode
> enabled?
>
>  Those NMI and IRQ-party goes on at an rate of one event every two
> minutes.
>
>  Will it wreck my system or can I ignore it?

It's not good, but it's what I might expect on the Gigabyte
motherboards.  I've not heard much good about them, instead I've heard
about BIOS bugs, memory problems, etc.

>  This appeared exactly when I replaced my old Ultra-Nonwide IBM-DCAS
> with two Ultra2-Wide DDRS-Drives and it disappears when I downgrade
> again. (btw, I know, U2W doesn`t boost my UW-system, but U2W costs less
> and maybe some day with my next sytem I can make use of it?)

It does boost the system by having faster drives.  That often times can
show up marginal RAM that didn't show up with the slower drive.

>  The System is a GigabyteDX Dual-PentiumMMX233-System with onboard
> aic7880 UltraWide.
>
>  And an additional question: Can I use the termination of the
> U2W-DDRS-Drives to terminate my bus

I'm not aware of any U2W drives that have termination built in.  Only
term power at most, not the actual terminators.

> or is LVD/U2W-termination an evil
> thing at an SE/UW-bus?

Almost all LVD terminators will automatically detect and terminate a SE
bus when it exists.

--
  Doug Ledford   <dledford at redhat.com>
   Opinions expressed are my own, but