extra data not valid + other messages

Venkatesh Krishnamurthi vk at spies.com
Sun Apr 4 18:28:57 PDT 1999

Hi,

  I do have tagged queueing turned on (depth = 32).  You might try different
values of TQ depth to test if there is any correlation between TQ and these
messages.  I seem to recall a quiet period when I had TQ totally turned off.

  I can verify that these errors occur with both the aic7xxx and the buslogic
adapters,  so they must be HDD specific.  The frequency of these errors
probably varies with disk usage since my secondary HDD (also a 9ZX) does not
report quite as many errors.

Venkatesh

>Albert Lai <amlai at columbia.edu> wrote:

< stuff deleted>

> I also have the IBM 9ZX. I guess that this error might be specific to this
> model. Do you happen to have tagged queueing enabled? If so, what do you
> have the depth set to? I don't recall ever having seen this error before I
> enabled tagged queueing. (I've had my disk for a while now, and this is
> the first time I've ever noticed these messages.) Going back through my
> logs, the last time this happened before Mar 28 was Mar 18, which is the
> day after I started using tagged queueing. The other thing that worries me
> is that the frequency of this message is suddenly higher than before. What
> I will probably do as an experiment is to turn off tagged queueing, and
> see if I get any more of these messages. (That is unless I here from
> someone who is getting these messages and doesn't have tagged queueing
> enabled.)

< lots more stuff deleted>