extra data not valid + other messages

Albert Max Lai amlai at columbia.edu
Sun Apr 4 05:22:48 PDT 1999

On Sun, 4 Apr 1999, Venkatesh Krishnamurthi wrote:

>   I keep getting these on my IBM 9ZX disks about once a day.  An earlier
> thread in this mailing list revealed that others too have been noticing
> these messages in their logs.

I also have the IBM 9ZX. I guess that this error might be specific to this
model. Do you happen to have tagged queueing enabled? If so, what do you
have the depth set to? I don't recall ever having seen this error before I
enabled tagged queueing. (I've had my disk for a while now, and this is
the first time I've ever noticed these messages.) Going back through my
logs, the last time this happened before Mar 28 was Mar 18, which is the
day after I started using tagged queueing. The other thing that worries me
is that the frequency of this message is suddenly higher than before. What
I will probably do as an experiment is to turn off tagged queueing, and
see if I get any more of these messages. (That is unless I here from
someone who is getting these messages and doesn't have tagged queueing
enabled.)