BIOS won't load

Richard Neal G. Plana richip at mozcom.com
Sat Sep 5 18:22:19 PDT 1998

Hi,

This question isn't exactly Linux specific, but it does deal with the
Adaptec cards.

I bought an Adaptec 2940UW card and plonked it in an Intel AL440LX
motherboard. When I boot the computer, the BIOS goes through its standard
POST but when it comes to the part where the Adaptec card displays its
banner and autodetects the connected devices, it doesn't. I mean, the
screen just blanks out for a couple of seconds and the computer goes on to
bootstrap via the floppy disk.

I tried installing Linux (since it uses the floppy to bootstrap), and it
can detect the harddisks alright, but when I reboot, the SCSI BIOS doesn't
load and it has to boot through the bootdisk.

How do I get the SCSI BIOS to load so that I can boot from harddisk?

L   L Richi Plana 8^)         ,-,-.     ,-,-.     ,-,-.     ,-,-.     ,-
LL LL Systems Administrator  / / \ \   / / \ \   / / \ \   / / \ \   / /
LLLLL Mosaic Communications, Inc. \ \ / /   \ \ / /   \ \ / /   \ \ / /
LLLLL mailto:richip at mozcom.com     `-'-'     `-'-'     `-'-'     `-'-'