aic7xxx driver 5.0.19 -> 5.1.12 panic kernel with AHA2742T

Robert Baller rdballer at home.com
Mon Oct 19 18:02:46 PDT 1998

I was running the 4.1 aic7xxx code on a Linux 2.0.34 system without a
problem.  My system is an older EISA/PCI (neptune chipset) TYAN board.

The Adaptec SCSI adapter is a AHA2742T (Rev E chip Twin Channel) card.

When I booted the 2.0.34 Debian Linux boot disk which has the 5.0.19
aic7xxx driver linked into it the driver paniced the kernel.  I then
obtained a 2.0.35 source tree and updated the driver to 5.1.2 and the
following panic occurs:

(scsi0) <Adaptec AHA-274X SCSI host adapter> found at EISA slot 1
(scsi0) Twin Channel, A SCSI ID 7, B SCSI ID 7, 4/255 SCBs
(scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 423 instructions downloaded
(scsi0) BRKADRINT error(0xa)
  Illegal Sequencer Address referenced
  Sequencer Ram Parity Error
(scsi0)    SEQADDR=0x1a8
Kernel panic: aic7xxx: unrecoverable BRKADRINT.

Based on this message it suggests my board's sequencer ram is bad, but
the 4.1 aic7xxx code does not have a problem on this very same system.
When I downgraded the 5.0.19 / 2.0.34 kernel to a 4.1 set of aic7xxx
code the system boots and runs fine.

Any ideas?

I have channel A as the secondary channel on this card so channel B is
the primary/boot channel.

Thanks.