Driver

Doug Ledford dledford at dialnet.net
Tue May 26 08:43:37 PDT 1998

Garfield Lewis wrote:

> Actually I work in the DB2 development team and the machine is duel boot Linux
> and NT. I frequently need to do TPC-C benchmarks on the machine, thus, the
> system requirements. Anyway, any answers to my question???

Well, I'm not sure what kernel version you are using, but my first
suspicions would be that either

a)  the linux kernel in general is not working properly on your machine
b)  there is a memory hole somewhere above 256MB that is causing a
    problem, possibly something like some card has a MMAP buffer that's
    overlapping with real RAM
c)  there is something wrong with your BIOS and how it inits that much
    RAM in terms of chipset setup

In any case, that the driver would work at 256MB or less and not above would
tend to indicate either a MMAP I/O space problem, PIO space problem, or some
other generic communication block as oppossed to a driver issue with how
much RAM is installed.  I think that I would check with either
linux-kernel at vger.rutgers.edu or linux-smp at vger.rutgers.edu and see what
they have to say about it.

--

 Doug Ledford  <dledford at dialnet.net>