aic7xxx-5.0.15 released

William Stearns wstearns at pobox.com
Thu May 21 07:02:05 PDT 1998

On Mon, 18 May 1998, Doug Ledford wrote:

> This is a bug-fix release of the aic7xxx 5.0.x driver.  This release
> concentrates on the various negotiation bugs people have seen in the 5.0.13
> and 5.0.14 drivers.  Error messages from these drivers could include things
> such as invalid SCB during SELTO messages, complete hangs immediately after
> attempting to negotiate with certain devices, and other assorted error
> messages.  This version fixes these problems by committing the horrible sin
> of peeking into the data returned by devices in response the the INQUIRY
> command.  From this data we determine what devices can/can't support
> wide/sync negotiation and then issue the negotiation based upon those
> results.  Personally, I don't like doing it this way, but it's the most
> reliable way of knowing what devices we shouldn't or shouldn't negotiate
> with.
> I would very much appreciate feedback in the short term as I would like to
> verify that this driver does what I wanted it to do before I take off for
> linux-expo.

	Bingo!
	With 2.0.34-pre13 I receieved "referenced SCB 255 not valid during
selto" on every cold boot (after the cd-rom refused to do wide transfers).
Pressing reset or ctrl-alt-del would allow a normal boot, but the cdrom
was not detected at all.
	With 2.0.34-pre15+aic7xxx-5.0.15-34pre15 the normal boot returns
even on power-on.
	The system is an Acer Pentium II with an on-board aic-7880,
connected to an IBM DCAS-34330W 4G wide drive and an NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:464.
If it would be useful to either of you I would be very happy to transcribe
the error messages under pre13 or dmesg output from either.  As the
problem is completely reproducable here, I would also be glad to do any
testing for you...
	Thank you both for your efforts!
	Cheers,
	- Bill

P.S. I'm not subscribed to the aic7xxx mailing list...

Unix _is_ user friendly.  It's just very selective about who its friends
are.  And sometimes even best friends have fights.
William Stearns (wstearns at pobox.com)