aic7xxx/kernel version mismatch

Togath togath at swcp.com
Wed Mar 4 09:15:48 PST 1998

Hello,

I'm hoping one of you more experienced Linux admins or AIC7XXX programmers
can help me with a problem I've been struggling with for several hours now.

I have RedHat Linux 5.0 (kernel version 2.0.32) running on my Pentium 133
system with an Adaptec 2940 SCSI host adapter (it's using the aic7xxx.o
loadable module).  Everything works fine as of the RedHat install.

I later built a smaller kernel without all the things I don't need, and
everything was fine with that, too.

However, last night I applied the patch-2.0.33 to the source distribution
(which also upgrades the aic7xxx module from 4.1 to 4.1.1) and did the
"make mrproper...xconfig...dep...clean...zImage...modules" etc and
installed it.

Now when I reboot using that new kernel, I get the following error message
and kernel panic:

/lib/aic7xxx.o: kernel-module version mismatch
	/lib/aic7xxx.o was compiled for kernel version 2.0.32
	while this kernel is version 2.0.33.
VFS: Cannot open root device 08:14

I realize the kernel panic is just from the failure to mount root after
having failed to load the module.

Among other parameters, I have the following set in my .config:

CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y
CONFIG_SCSI_AIC7XXX=m

(The second of which I believe is supposed to prevent this, if I'm not
mistaken.  However, I have tried CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=n or not set, too, with
no change in results).

I did a "strings -a aic7xxx.o" and found no references to 2.0.32, but I
did find one for 2.0.33.  I have searched the entire /usr/src/linux tree
for any reference to 2.0.32.  (Actually, out of frustration, while I was
typing this message I searched the entire / tree and didn't find anything
other than the old /lib/modules/2.0.32 which I still have around for my
functioning kernel, although I've tried blowing that away and rebooting
with the new kernel, still same message--of course, the new kernel looks in
/lib/modules/2.0.33 anyway, but I'm sure you all knew that).

I've also read about a dozen FAQs, HOWTOs and READMEs, without finding the
answer I'm looking for.

I'm clueless and frustrated!  If anyone of you out there could please tell
me what I'm doing wrong, I would be very grateful!

When I used to run Slackware 2.0 (kernel version 1.2.x), I regularly
upgraded the kernel to the next rev without ever having this problem, and
still used the AIC7XXX driver (when it wasn't part of the distribution).

Many thanks in advance!

--
Togath (togath at swcp.com)