Adaptec Fast-Wide & IBM DHFS Drive

Leonard N. Zubkoff lnz at dandelion.com
Sat Sep 27 07:52:58 PDT 1997

  Date: Sat, 27 Sep 1997 04:23:30 -0500 (CDT)
  From: "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen at iworks.InterWorks.org>

  > I picked up an OEM version of an IBM DFHS S4W drive (aka UltraStar XP);
  > built for Apple.  It's a fast wide single-ended drive, 7200rpm., 4.1GB
  > capacity.  A screamer, but it absolutely refuses to work if tagged
  > queueing is enabled in the driver.

  Perhaps it doesn't support tagged queueing?

FYI: I've had a pair of IBM DFHSS4W drives for a long while now and they've
given me no grief with tagged queuing on the BusLogic host adapters.  It may be
something about this particular unit being an OEM drive that was built for
Apple that's causing the problem.  The identification information is below in
case that helps.  If the Apple OEM drive is running different firmware, perhaps
an update would correct the problems.

		Leonard

  Vendor: IBM       Model: DFHSS4W       !q  Rev: 4141
Detected scsi disk sdj at scsi2, channel 0, id 1, lun 0