AHA-2940 Ultra/Ultra Wide

Justin T. Gibbs gibbs at plutotech.com
Mon Sep 15 14:15:28 PDT 1997

>--------
>> Perhaps someone else can comment on whether your
>> QUANTUM FIREBALL ST6.4S 0F04 needs firmware upgrades?
>
>I'm not aware of any problems with Stratus class Fireball firmware, but I
>haven't tested any of those myself.  Justin, I thought you mentioned having
>some of these you were working with.  If so, has the firmware proven to be
>decent on those?  Have you done your normal try to break the drive testing
>on this class of Quantum drive Leonard?

Pluto is currently using what I believe is an "unreleased" version
of the firmware for these drives.  Some of the seek paterns we perform
in our VDR application cause the drives with the released firmware
to "go dead".  Quantum didn't believe us until we shipped them one of our
boxes so that they could hook up a simulator to it.  Turned out to
be a bug in the servo code.  I have no idea if Quantum plans to release
this firmware publicly or not.  The problem only occurred after performing
a particular seek pattern repeatedly for severl hours.

>--
>* Doug Ledford                      *   Unix, Novell, Dos, Windows 3.x,     *
>* dledford at dialnet.net    873-DIAL  *     WfW, Windows 95 & NT Technician   *
>*   Springfield, MO and surrounding * Usenet news, e-mail and shell account.*
>*   communities.  Sign-up online at * Web page creation and hosting, other  *
>*   873-9000 V.34                   * services available, call for info.    *

Justin T. Gibbs