Re: Stable/13 doesn't boot with xen

From: Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau_at_citrix.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2022 08:05:51 UTC
On Tue, Jun 07, 2022 at 12:57:39AM -0700, Brian Buhrow wrote:
> 	hello.  I shut the system down with:
> shutdown -r.
> I notice that, compared to NetBSD, FreeBSD shuts down very quickly.  I'm also aware that the
> NetBSD domu's don't seem to know anything about the xenbus shutdown notifications they receive
> from xen.  I wonder if I need to generate some kind of ACPI notification instead?
> On the other hand, I'm not sure the FreeBSD domu I have running shuts down cleanly either.
>
> But, couldn't the xen daemons pause the system shutdown process long enough to do a destroy on
> any domu's that don't respond and then close things cleanly so at least the dom0 doesn't panic
> on the way down?

Yes, I think we are missing a xendomains init script, see as examples:

http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=blob;f=tools/hotplug/Linux/init.d/xendomains.in;h=dcd330cb8d5df137b493848bcde0b86f62c4acb1;hb=HEAD
http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=blob;f=tools/hotplug/NetBSD/rc.d/xendomains;h=edc4495317e7c97f77d295f3068647b07a871f5a;hb=HEAD

That shuts down (or destroys) all guests when dom0 shutdowns.
Regardless of this dom0 should not panic when shutting down with
active guests.

I will try to reproduce the issue on my end so that dom0 kernel
doesn't panic.

Would you like to try adding a xendoomain init script to FreeBSD?

Thanks, Roger.