Re: Odd message sequence at boot

From: Bjoern A. Zeeb <bz_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2022 13:20:15 UTC
On Sun, 4 Sep 2022, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Sep 2022, Kevin Oberman wrote:
>
>> Probably not significant, but I am seeing an odd message at boot:
>> iwlwifi0: successfully loaded firmware image 'iwlwifi-so-a0-gf-a0.pnvm'
>> iwlwifi0: loaded PNVM version 881c99e1
>> iwlwifi0: Detected RF GF, rfid=0x2010d000
>> ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE2: Device not configured
>> lo0: link state changed to UP
>> iwlwifi0: base HW address: 70:a8:d3:df:3c:de
>> Starting Network: lo0 em0.
>> lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
>>
>> Clearly, the messages are mis-ordered due to buffering, but I see the
>> "Device not configured" message at every boot. IT seems to have no impact,
>> but it smells a bit like some sort of race and, just possibly, is related
>> to the crashes.
>
> Unlikely but on day I'll patch ifconfig to print the interface name
> there so we actually know what it is talking about...

Just pushed that.  Let me know if it is indeed wlan0 or em0?

> If it is a race, the rc framework tries to configure an interface which
> is not there yet and wlan0 is not in your interface list "Starting
> Network" so maybe this is em0?

Could also be wlan0 given iwlwifi seems to still load while interfaces
are being configured.

I'll go and look into that so we don't do the Linux thing and return
early/quickly but do the classic FreeBSD thing of blockinf until loading
is finished.

> If it is wlan0 it tries and complains about then devd will fix this
> later as the interface gets created and starts it.

that still stands and in some ways (if one does not need the interface
for other boot services, e.g. ntp) should improve boot speed.
Netherless the above applies and FreeBSD rc is expecting the physical
interface to be present when kldload returns.

More another day,
Bjoern

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                                                     r15:7