Re: Odd message sequence at boot

From: Bjoern A. Zeeb <bz_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2022 19:53:35 UTC
On Sun, 4 Sep 2022, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> Probably not significant, but I am seeing an odd message at boot:
> iwlwifi0: successfully loaded firmware image 'iwlwifi-so-a0-gf-a0.pnvm'
> iwlwifi0: loaded PNVM version 881c99e1
> iwlwifi0: Detected RF GF, rfid=0x2010d000
> ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE2: Device not configured
> lo0: link state changed to UP
> iwlwifi0: base HW address: 70:a8:d3:df:3c:de
> Starting Network: lo0 em0.
> lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
>
> Clearly, the messages are mis-ordered due to buffering, but I see the
> "Device not configured" message at every boot. IT seems to have no impact,
> but it smells a bit like some sort of race and, just possibly, is related
> to the crashes.

Unlikely but on day I'll patch ifconfig to print the interface name
there so we actually know what it is talking about...

If it is a race, the rc framework tries to configure an interface which
is not there yet and wlan0 is not in your interface list "Starting
Network" so maybe this is em0?

I'll get a patch out tomorrow and we'll know for sure.

If it is wlan0 it tries and complains about then devd will fix this
later as the interface gets created and starts it.

The crashes are related to destroying and creating and starting wlan0.
So if you have a running (or stalled) wlan0 and do a
service netif restart wlan0
that'll likely cause the crash.   Usually an ifconfig wlan0 down &&
sleep 1 && ifconfig wlan0 up will do a lot better at the moment.

/bz

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                                                     r15:7