Re: [rtw88] What is the current status?

From: Bjoern A. Zeeb <bz_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 23:18:44 UTC

--0-2141898097-1644362325=:68830

On Mon, 7 Feb 2022, Daniel Pérez wrote:

> First of all thank you Bjoern and anyone that has contributed to iwlwifi and all the work that you have done.
> I've been following this list semi-closely since November, but I haven't had the possibility to test rtw88 until now.
> Yesterday I updated my system to latest STABLE, having read that iwlwifi had already been MFC'd to upstream. But I have no clue where did rtw88 go, as only if_iwlwifi.ko is appearing in /boot/kernel.
> Has rtw88 support been dropped, am I missing the kernel file, or should I do any other procedure to build it? I am willing to test.

It's missing one or two linuxkpi changes which will come with the next
batch to build out of main (not stable/13).

To my surprise it did attach without error on my amd64 machines now
(where previously firmware loading was a hit-and-miss).
On arm64 there's still issues.  I assume some of them are there on x86
but "hidden" by other things.

I can create wireless interfaces as well and trigger scanning but I am
currently not receiving frames (which is a common thing between rtw88
and rtw89) and I simply had no time to look into this yet.  Likely a
LinuxKPI compat bit is missing.  I'll try to find a few hours once
changes for iwlwifi are out.

After basic packet passing works as it does for iwlwifi I'll make sure to
get it into the tree altogether.

If you want to try earlier I can provide an updated tarball again (including
firmware) and the 6-line diff to attach them to the build once the LinuxKPI
bits are in.  I'll be very keen to hear from testing on non-developers systems.

/bz

PS: as we have just discovered there is a secondary issue with rtw88 in that
it'll overflow an mbuf size when used with IPv6 in a few places [1].  I am
currently testing a temporary work-around for that which should hold the next
few weeks.

[1] see this thread: https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-transport/2022-February/000012.html

net.wlan.devices: rtw_8822ce0 rtw89_pci0 rtw_8822be0 ath0

# ifconfig wlan7 create wlandev rtw_8822be0 wlanmode sta regdomain etsi country DE
rtw_8822be0: start vif 9c:30:5b:57:8b:11 on port 0
wlan7: bpf attached
wlan7: bpf attached
wlan7: Ethernet address: 9c:30:5b:57:8b:11
# ifconfig wlan8 create wlandev rtw_8822ce0 wlanmode sta regdomain etsi country DE
rtw_8822ce0: start vif 70:66:55:09:8d:0d on port 0
wlan8: bpf attached
wlan8: bpf attached
wlan8: Ethernet address: 70:66:55:09:8d:0d
# ifconfig wlan89 create wlandev rtw89_pci0 wlanmode sta regdomain etsi country DE
wlan89: bpf attached
wlan89: bpf attached
wlan89: Ethernet address: 14:5a:fc:0a:46:7b
# ifconfig wlan7
wlan7: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
         ether 9c:30:5b:57:8b:11
         groups: wlan
         ssid "" channel 1 (2412 MHz 11b)
         regdomain ETSI country DE authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpower 30
         bmiss 7 scanvalid 60 wme bintval 0
         parent interface: rtw_8822be0
         media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect)
         status: no carrier
         nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
# ifconfig wlan8
wlan8: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
         ether 70:66:55:09:8d:0d
         groups: wlan
         ssid "" channel 1 (2412 MHz 11b)
         regdomain ETSI country DE authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpower 30
         bmiss 7 scanvalid 60 wme bintval 0
         parent interface: rtw_8822ce0
         media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (autoselect)
         status: no carrier
         nd6 options=29<PERFORMNUD,IFDISABLED,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
# ifconfig wlan89
wlan89: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
         ether 14:5a:fc:0a:46:7b
         groups: wlan
         ssid "" channel 1 (2412 MHz 11b)
         regdomain ETSI country DE authmode OPEN privacy OFF txpower 30
         bmiss 7 scanvalid 60 wme bintval 0
         parent interface: rtw89_pci0

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                                                     r15:7
--0-2141898097-1644362325=:68830--