Re: rtw88 import to main

From: Bjoern A. Zeeb <bz_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2022 16:23:58 UTC
On Fri, 1 Apr 2022, Doug Ambrisko wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 01, 2022 at 12:32:40AM +0000, Bjoern A. Zeeb wrote:
> | I've just pushed Realtek's rtw88 driver into the tree along with
> | firmware to support it and man pages.  Station mode only.
>
> 	[snip]
>
> | CAVEAT-1:  if you have more than 4GB of main memory, the driver will
> | likely fail to load firmware or work.  Sounds silly these days but hey.
>
> 	[snip]
>
> Another potential hack with the 4GB limit is to use bhyve for the
> wireless connectivity and then everything else outside.  It's
> also handy to limit crashes, backtraces etc. to bhyve and not the
> host.

Yes, I do that some for development and that got bhyve one or two
fixes for passthru in the last months.  Cannot wait to have it on
arm64 as well.

> I've thought of a suspend/resume laptop hack is stop bhyve on
> on suspend and then restart it on resume.  Then we don't need
> suspend/resume support in the driver.

There are projects like wifibox which try to do something like
this running a Linux inside I believe (though I don't know if
suspend/resume is a thing there)?

I also don't know how resume will "feel" as it'll take a few seconds
extra if you have to completely restart a bhyve on resume.

It wasn't until a while ago when people were posting firmware crashes
for iwm(4).  I think the goal remains to bring us back to more support
and while I am sure drm-kmod is less troubled by a 4GB limit than
realtek drivers, also remember that what we do here is potentially
also helping and/or improving other parts of the system.

/bz

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                                                     r15:7