Re: [HEADS-UP] Quick update to 14.0-RELEASE schedule

From: Glen Barber <gjb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 04:52:31 UTC
On Tue, Nov 14, 2023 at 08:10:23PM -0700, The Doctor wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 15, 2023 at 02:27:01AM +0000, Glen Barber wrote:

> > > I always just installed my copy.
> > >

> > Ok.  I do not know what exactly is your point, but releases are never
> > official until there is a PGP-signed email sent.  The email is intended
> > for the general public of consumers of official releases, not "yeah,
> > but"s.
> >

> Howver if you do a freebsd-update upgrade, you can upgrade.
>
> Is that suppose to happen?

That does not say that the freebsd-update bits will not change *until*
the official release announcement has been sent.

In my past 15 years involved in the Project, I think we have been very
clear on that.

A RELEASE IS NOT FINAL UNTIL THE PGP-SIGNED ANNOUNCEMENT IS SENT.

I mean, c'mon, dude.

We really, seriously, for all intents and purposes, cannot be any more
clear than that.

So, yes, *IF* an update necessitates a new freebsd-update build, what
you are running is *NOT* official.

For at least 15 years, we have all said the same entire thing.

Glen