Re: Deprecating ISA sound cards

From: Ed Maste <emaste_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 15:39:29 UTC

On Sat, 19 Mar 2022 at 17:24, Chris <bsd-lists@bsdforge.com> wrote:

> I have a board running freebsd that has 2 GUS cards in it running
> simultaneously. Sniff... cést la vié

These drivers will (eventually) need to be updated for Giant locking /
spl* leftovers, or be removed. I assumed that these were all
museum-class hardware and nobody would use them with contemporary
FreeBSD; NYC*BUG dmesgd[1] seemed to concur.

That said, I don't think they have a significant maintenance burden in
the near term. Any of these drivers that will actually be used with
FreeBSD 14 could have their retirement postponed. If this is desired,
please identify the specific driver(s), follow up here with a
confirmation that they work with 12.3/13.0/CURRENT, and ideally send a
dmesg to dmesgd. As far as I can tell there are no GUS cards listed in
dmesgd at all.

(I also had an original GF1 Ultrasound with 1MB on board although I
think it sadly went to e-waste. I never used it with FreeBSD, and it
seems the snd_gusc driver only supports UltraSound MAX and newer
anyhow.)

[1] https://dmesgd.nycbug.org/index.cgi