Re: serial, basic stuff

From: Jon Clausen <freebsd-questions_at_ymmv.dk>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 10:06:39 UTC
On 2024-04-21 11:32:00 (+0200), Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Jon Clausen <freebsd-questions@ymmv.dk> writes:
> > In the meantime I realised that there is at least one complication with my
> > idea of "the simple setup" (where jh05:port0 <-> jh06:port0)
> >
> > On both systems getty is already 'listening' on ttyu0.
>
> Yes, because both systems have a serial console enabled on port 0,

indeed

> so you need to use port 1 to dial out (to port 0 on the other end),

well that's what I'm aiming for once I get everything sorted. The reason I
wanted to use "like" port to begin with, is that the two ports are
different, both in terms of which lines exist, but also (especially) they
are different power levels.
So this complicates things, because I need to insert a RS232/TTL adapter,
which then introduces more "unknowns" to the equation.

> or
> disable the serial console on either or both (add `console="vidconsole"`
> to /etc/loader.conf, make sure you don't have `-D`, `-P`, or `-h` in
> /boot.config or /boot/config) and make sure getty is running on port 1
> instead (change `onifconsole` to `on` on the ttyu1 line in /etc/ttys).

I think I'd rather leave the port0 setup as is, and just use port1 (on both
systems) for now.

This means I'll need to get getty set up on one side, and make the
connection from the other side. Once I have a working setup like that, I can
then start working towards the port1(client) to port0(server) setup

br
/jon

--
YMMV