Re: How is this possible

From: Aryeh Friedman <aryeh.friedman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 20:04:46 UTC
On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 3:03 PM Tomek CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info> wrote:

> On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 8:51 PM Aryeh Friedmanwrote:
> > On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 2:48 PM Tomek CEDRO wrote:
> > > If you create a ramdisk and build there it will be even faster..
> > > assuming space is enough (kernel should go, not sure about world).. I
> > > have tried with 128GB RAM and it works quite well on older hardware..
> > > similar to newer hardware with 32GB RAM and nvme disk :-)
> >
> > See other replies two identical SSD's (same model number and capacity)
> > backing both the physical OS and VM's OS (each on a different drive).
> >  As to NVM I still don't trust it even though it has been around for 7
> > or 8 years now (too much experience with OS wackiness with high end
> > storage networking)
>
> True :-) I have additional nvme pci-e controller and fast nvme drive
> as my OS storage.. on an older machine.. it really blows my sock off
> (faster than SATA SSD).. but the raidz2 uses WD RED Pro 4x4TB HDD for
> more important stuff and zfs stripe on WD RED 2x2TB as scratchpad :-P

See below for ZFS problems... we purposely decided to not do anything
fancier then mirroring and only then so one the drives can safely be
backed up

> It would be good to know the VM (bhyve?) and host fs (ZFS?) and the vm
> fs (UFS?) :-) I have noticed after switching to ZFS that my raid was a
> lot faster on UFS.. but I had consistency errors on crash which now I
> do not have with ZFS and I have really nice features now for instance
> snapshots and amazingly flexible pools allocation :-)

The machine this is replacing (hard crashed a few days ago) was ZFS
and frankly ZFS posed more of a problem then a solution for restoring
at the virtual drive level (zpool scrub cleared the error but
corrupted the virtual drive then once I get the OS reinstalled it
started spontaniously rebooting while doing a make -j12 DESTDIR=/ and
thus the new machine).... due to problems with ZFS I decided to use
UFS this time and rely of more traditional backups the ZFS as primary
backups