Re: How is this possible

From: Tomek CEDRO <tomek_at_cedro.info>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2023 19:02:52 UTC
On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 8:51 PM Aryeh Friedmanwrote:
> On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 2:48 PM Tomek CEDRO wrote:
> > If you create a ramdisk and build there it will be even faster..
> > assuming space is enough (kernel should go, not sure about world).. I
> > have tried with 128GB RAM and it works quite well on older hardware..
> > similar to newer hardware with 32GB RAM and nvme disk :-)
>
> See other replies two identical SSD's (same model number and capacity)
> backing both the physical OS and VM's OS (each on a different drive).
>  As to NVM I still don't trust it even though it has been around for 7
> or 8 years now (too much experience with OS wackiness with high end
> storage networking)

True :-) I have additional nvme pci-e controller and fast nvme drive
as my OS storage.. on an older machine.. it really blows my sock off
(faster than SATA SSD).. but the raidz2 uses WD RED Pro 4x4TB HDD for
more important stuff and zfs stripe on WD RED 2x2TB as scratchpad :-P

It would be good to know the VM (bhyve?) and host fs (ZFS?) and the vm
fs (UFS?) :-) I have noticed after switching to ZFS that my raid was a
lot faster on UFS.. but I had consistency errors on crash which now I
do not have with ZFS and I have really nice features now for instance
snapshots and amazingly flexible pools allocation :-)

Yet another crazy idea: have you tried running that vm directly from a
ramdisk/tmpfs? :-)