Re: Docker

From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra_at_tundraware.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2023 17:00:01 UTC
On 4/17/23 09:38, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> The common point where any methodology fails is when those using it
> fail to realise that it is a tool for achieving a result and not a goal in
> itself. If it gets in the way and doesn't help it's the wrong tool, this is
> not cured by getting increasingly doctrinal about it.

+1

I believe that agile is a useful implementation strategy (and use it all
the time), but it's not great at developing the initial requirements.
It leads to agile teams getting halfway down the delivery cycle and
then suddenly discovering everything they've done has to be rewritten
to become event-driven or some similarly large miss of expectations.

I prefer waterfall discovery of requirements and agile implementations.
It doesn't have to be perfect or 100% complete, but it's shocking
how many waterfall discoveries stall, not because of process
limitations, but because the stakeholders haven't agreed on
desired outcomes (aka the "mission").  In this sense, waterfall
requirements gathering forces people to declare *what* they want
fully enough to build a first instance.  *How* it gets build is
very much a beneficiary of agile methodologies.