Re: pkg upgrade vs building from source

From: paul beard <paulbeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2022 23:25:24 UTC
On Sat, Oct 8, 2022 at 3:34 PM Pat Maddox <pat@patmaddox.com> wrote:

> Do you use pkg only, or do you have a mix of ports and packages? I ask
> because you mention going back to ports and it working… my understanding is
> generally you want to use ports xor pkg, not mix them.
>
> Also you might consider using latest pkg instead of quarterly, as it’s
> going to be more current and thus have any fixes that might not be in
> quarterly yet.
>
> But if you are mixing ports and pkg, I would start there. It’s possible
> you have pretty recent ports, mixed with old-ish (quarterly) pkg, and that
> could certainly cause issues.

It would be best to rely on one or the other, to be sure. Pkg handles the
registration of ports/pkgs alike so not sure if I can query if a port was
built from source or as a pkg. I don't think I have installed many from
source, just postfix for certain. That may have been unduly hasty.

Further analysis tells me pkg might not be where this originated. A lot of
the files in /usr/local/etc/postfix were touched on a date and time when I
wasn't available to do that…so that's interesting. This morning I found
that some files were touched at 14:08 on Monday Oct 3. I looked at the
weekly mirror/backup and the same files are all dated Sept 6 when I got
this all working again. Nothing should have changed between then and now.