Re: OT: Strange interaction between NIC, SSD and motherboard

From: David Christensen <dpchrist_at_holgerdanske.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2022 23:54:52 UTC

On 7/30/22 14:38, Aryeh Friedman wrote:

 > Almost certainly not the case since one of the tests I did was to
 > completely disconnect (including power cables) the windows SSD and it
 > still didn't see the FreeBSD one regardless of which cable and SATA
 > connector I used

STFW motherboard

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK

STFW NIC

https://us.dlink.com/en/products/dge-560t-gigabit-desktop-pci-express-adapter

STFW SSD

"SBFM61.3" appears to be firmware for various brands.  What is the make
and model of the SSD's?  Please provide URL.

What version and edition of Windows do you have?

What version and release of FreeBSD do you have?

Have you tested the power supply with a hardware power supply tester?

Have you disconnected and re-seated the power cables connected to the
motherboard?

Have you run memtest86+?

Are you confident in your SATA cables?

If you disconnect everything from the motherboard except for the power
supply, CPU/ heatsink/ fan, memory modules, Windows SSD, keyboard,
mouse, and monitor, and connect the Windows SSD to each motherboard SATA
port in turn, does CMOS Setup see the SSD for every port?  Does Windows
boot for every port?  What are the results if you repeat these steps
using the FreeBSD SSD?

If you connect the Windows SSD to the first SATA port and connect the
NIC to each motherboard PCIe slot in turn, does CMOS setup see the NIC
for every slot?  Does Windows boot for every slot?  Does the NIC work
for every slot?  What are the results if you repeat these steps using
the FreeBSD SSD?

David