Re: When will a new (ungoogled-)chromium package become available ?

From: Ian Smith <smithi_at_nimnet.asn.au>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2022 19:00:56 UTC
On 9 December 2022 3:17:07 am AEDT, 0x1eef <0x1eef@protonmail.com> wrote:

 > On Thu, Dec 08, 2022 at 07:37:00AM -0300, Ian Smith wrote:

[ first quoting Pete Wright's helpful response, which you have elided ]

 > > Considering the first commit was as of now 5 days ago,
 > > consisting of 318 changed files with 1,658 additions and 1,731
 > deletions,
 > > with Pete's message a day old, I'd have thought it was pretty darn
 > snappy service
 > > for a hardly essential port, especially considering the discount
 > price ...

 > No need to be snarky.

No need to remove my smiley, either.

I'll cop to the low form of sarcasm if you'll consider owning unwarranted impatience.

Perhaps so; I took what Pete said in his earlier response, reinserted:

 > > Interestingly enough as of a few mins ago
 > > my local system picked up
the latest pkg.

to mean that it was available then.

 > I also don't understand how you could categorize a browser
 > as "non-essential". It is part of everyday life of using a
 > desktop computer, and it's not trivial to compile either.

Essential security fixes to the OS have always been expedited to the best the Security Officer and crew can do as quickly as possible, AFAICT.

This is a patch to ported software that - like many others - will always need ongoing updates.  There are a number of other browsers you could use meanwhile, should particular bugs expose you to unacceptable immediate risk.

It was not my intention to deter you from contributing to solutions.

cheers, Ian