Re: iocage template question.

From: <doug_at_safeport.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 19:00:17 UTC
On Wed, 17 Aug 2022, Norman Gray wrote:

> Doug, hello.
>
> On 17 Aug 2022, at 1:12, doug wrote:
>
>> I have several jails a few of which come from a template. Is there a way of
>> telling which jails are based on a given template?
>
> There may be a clever way within iocage itself, but if you do
>
>    % zfs get -o name,value -r origin tank/iocage
>
> (where tank/iocage is the root dataset that iocage is using), then you'll see
> the 'origin' of each filesystem used by iocage
>
> There, you might see
>
>    tank/iocage/jsils/JAIL1/root  tank/iocage/templates/TEMPLATE1/root@JAIL1
>    tank/iocage/templates/TEMPLATE1/root
> tank/iocage/releases/13.1-RELEASE/root@TEMPLATE1
>
> ...showing that JAIL1's /root is a clone of TEMPLATE1 at the snapshot @JAIL,
> and that that that template is a clone of the release at the snapshot
> @TEMPLATE1.
>
> So that, slightly indirectly, indicates the sequence of iocage jail creation.

So this turns into a zfs question for me. From zfs list:

NAME                                   USED  AVAIL  REFER  MOUNTPOINT
zroot                                 2.48T  10.7T  1.66T  legacy
zroot/iocage                           844G  10.7T  4.28M  /zroot
   :
zroot/iocage/jails/waldo         6.75G  10.7T   247K  /zroot/jails/waldo
zroot/iocage/jails/waldo/root    6.75G  10.7T  6.75G  /root/jails/waldo/root

The config file has: "jail_zfs_dataset": "iocage/jails/waldo/data" That
dataset name does not exist. I assume this is something iocage uses. My
takes on trying your command:

zfs get -o name,value -r origin zroot/iocage/jails/waldo
NAME                           VALUE
zroot/iocage/jails/waldo       -
zroot/iocage/jails/waldo/root  -

I might as well describe my "real" problem. I "know" that a set of jails
including waldo were created from a template because in moving to a new
data center we obviously have to change resolv.conf. Restarting to the jail
resets resolv.conf to the template value. There are some obvious file
system changes that are probably okay, gonna test that throught first
though.