Re: How fast can I get FBSD to boot?

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf-mardorf_at_riseup.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 01:04:07 UTC
On Tue, 2022-08-16 at 15:06 -0400, Alejandro Imass wrote:
> Thank you all for your suggestions and taking time to respond to this
> thread!
>
> The Linux distro I have in mind is Tiny Core Linux, it boots really
> fast and it's around 10MB in size.

Hi,

if you are in favour of FreeBSD consider to test BusyBox with FreeBSD.

Tiny Core Linux is probably way faster than my bloated Arch Linux (not
using BusyBox) desktop install. I don't care about the startup time,
since the machine is usually up 24/7. Probably systemd is faster than
using init scripts.

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ systemd-analyze
Startup finished in 2.653s (kernel) + 4.006s (userspace) = 6.660s
graphical.target reached after 3.619s in userspace.
[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ systemd-analyze blame | head
11min 38.519s fstrim.service
       1.727s dev-sdc1.device
       1.419s man-db.service
       1.162s udisks2.service
        696ms systemd-hwdb-update.service
        614ms ldconfig.service
        504ms systemd-random-seed.service
        445ms systemd-udev-trigger.service
        428ms accounts-daemon.service
        389ms alice-dhcp.service

This is with a slow dual-core CPU and a bloated (realtime-patched)
kernel. The patch isn't the issue, but the kernel contains trillions of
modules I never ever will need, hence I could compile without those
modules. Right now I see that I even don't need all started services.
One of the slow services is udisks2.service, I guess I don't need it,
since I'm mounting by command line, not by mouse click.

[rocketmouse@archlinux ~]$ hwinfo --cpu --memory | grep -eModel -eSize | grep -v Main| sort -u
  Memory Size: 15 GB
  Model: 6.60.3 "Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU G1840 @ 2.80GHz"

Regards,