Re: How fast can I get FBSD to boot?

From: Arthur Chance <freebsd_at_qeng-ho.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 15:16:29 UTC
On 16/08/2022 16:05, Alejandro Imass wrote:
> Hi there !
>
> I’ve developed a nice framework for embedded touch screen app
> development based on Perl Tk.
>
> I would like to create a single purpose OS that you can boot on a
> Raspberry Pi or similar device and debating between sticking with Linux
> or using FBSD (I would prefer FBSD). It needs to boot in just a few
> seconds and only load X and then run a dedicated Perl app (no desktop
> env or anything else).
>
> Is there a group or list for embedded FBSD ? Can anyone provide some
> pointers on how to make FBSD boot as fast or faster than some of the
> embedded Linux out there ?

If you look at Colin Percival's Twitter account (@cperciva) you'll see
he's done a lot of work on boot times recently and got some massive
gains. This work isn't in the latest release but will be in a future
one, so don't think current boot times will continue into the future.

--
All network cabling aspires to the condition of macramé.