Re: Why do packages disappear?

From: Guido Falsi <madpilot_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 16:21:49 UTC
On 21/11/23 16:39, Richard Childers wrote:

> I was using ungoogled-chromium and I had 60+ tabs that I can now not get
> back because ungoogled-chromium has been withdrawn from circulation.
>

> why are these packages appearing and disappearing? If it's a package,
> it's supposed to be good enough to public use. The experimental stuff is
> supposed to stay in the ports section, not be promoted to packages.

Can you explain what you mean by "disappear"?

If the problem is that from time to time the package is not present in
the set of official packages, that is most probably due to the package
failing to build in the last run, which could be due to many many
reasons (*). If you track quarterly it should happen less frequently.

If by disappear you mean that pkg unexpectedly removed it from your
system, pkg should have stated that it wanted to do that and why, and
maybe some investigation is required.

Or maybe I've misunderstood what you tried to convey.

(*) for example the port itself could be broken, a dependency could have
been broken, or the builder could have simply had an hiccup. Chromium
and derivatives are really heavy ports to build and do have hiccups from
time to time.

> FreeBSD used to hold itself to a higher standard than Linux; it stood
> for STABILITY. Linux stood for EXPERIMENTATION.

Even if I would tend to agree, this is just an opinion and not a rule.

> What happened? Is FreeBSD being run by college kids now?

Are you aware the B in FreeBSD stands for University of California,
Berkeley? So, in a sense, BSDs have always been run by college kids.

> The quality of FreeBSD needs to be detached from the class projects
> you're working on to graduate. That's what Linux is for, in my opinion.

really no need to descend in class attacks, it is not going to help you
get support any faster.

--
Guido Falsi <madpilot@FreeBSD.org>