Re: Can someone please post a concise list of things maintainers are supposed to do?

From: Kevin Oberman <rkoberman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2023 06:13:19 UTC
On Mon, Jul 17, 2023 at 7:31 AM Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Stefan Bethke <stb_at_lassitu.de> wrote on
> Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2023 07:04:11 UTC :
>
> > every time I submit a PR to update a port I maintain, I get conflicting
> instructions about how to fill in the PR. This is really annoying, and some
> committers apparently feel they will not move forward in processing the PR
> unless some bureaucratic bullshit is done.
> >
> > Can the ports team please provide a concise, definitive list on how a
> maintainer is supposed to fill in a port update PR, so this nonsense stops?
>
> It might be useful to report the specific conflicting instructions
> that you have received and to ask that the "definitive list" at least
> resolve the specific conflicts. Otherwise the list might miss some
> issues that you ran into. Right now there is no way for someone
> generating a list to know up front if they have covered all your
> example issues.
>
> ===
> Mark Millard
> marklmi at yahoo.co <http://yahoo.com>m

This is an old issue. Many years ago I submitted a new port for the weird
modem in an IBM ThinkPad. The committer who picked up the ticket insisted
that some scripting involved be rewritten in Perl. I did so and finally got
the port committed. Less than two weeks later it was announced that perl
would be removed from the base system and that port scripts needed to be
converted to sh. While I applaud the removal of perl, I asked what the
"rules" were for structuring a port. Never got an answer. At least we now
have portlint that eliminates a lot of these issues.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com