Re: Ports Collection support for your FreeBSD version has ended...

From: Jan Beich <jbeich_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2022 08:01:19 UTC
Milan Obuch <freebsd-ports@dino.sk> writes:

> Hi,
>
> as I am doing today some maintenance, I am encountering this error.
> This would not be worth mentioning, it is easily overridable by
> defining ALLOW_UNSUPPORTED_SYSTEM, just I got this error on a
> 13.1-STABLE systems built relatively recently, one of them is built on
> June 3, 2022... this is extremely prematurely in my eyes. Note this
> does not happen on 12.3-STABLE system built on April 10, 2022.

Check __FreeBSD_version in /usr/include/sys/param.h or /usr/include/osreldate.h
If it's lower than 1301000 you've got a pilot error.

> If there really is some important issue in recent 13.1-STABLE system, I
> think it should be mentioned and announced somewhere.

-CURRENT and -STABLE are moving targets, so ports/ only support the bleeding
edge but not any arbitrarily old snapshot (individual maintainers can extend
support for a few months but it's not required). If you can't upgrade src/
then don't upgrade ports/ or *locally* revert breaking changes in either tree
until your blockers are resolved. Alternatively, -RELEASEs and/or /quarterly
have less churn.

Note, -STABLE has less QA than -CURRENT by pkg-fallout@. Only /quarterly is
tested via https://pkg-status.freebsd.org/?all=1&type=qat And the recent 13.0
cleanup (in 2a09e5b4da7c) didn't propagated to /quarterly yet.