How to override port Makefile to point to local directory?

From: Pat Maddox <pat_at_patmaddox.com>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 03:29:01 UTC
I am writing software that I would eventually like to install on
FreeBSD. I'm currently stuck trying to write a Makefile that will point
to my local git dir, so I can build and install it while I'm developing.
All of the finished Makefiles reference tar packages, which makes sense.
But when I'm actively developing, I don't want to commit the code, push
it, have it built, update the makefile with the commit, and make.

Does anyone know of a way to override options to a port's Makefile to
point to a local directory on disk? I want to run "sudo make install"
and "make package" from my development directory, using the same
Makefile that would be in the ports tree.

Pat