Re: lang/rust is super slow to buildZ

From: Roger Marquis <marquis_at_roble.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2022 03:05:19 UTC
On Tue, 13 Dec 2022, Xin LI wrote:
> Using prebuilt binaries is not necessarily compromising security when done
> right.  I think to ensure safety of these prebuilt binaries, we need to
> invest in e.g. making package builds reproducible (so an independent third
> party can audit and validate that the binaries are actually built from the
> source that they claimed to be when they want), ensure that the builders
> are safe, and sign the packages on the builders.

Reproducable builds, a packaged base and paid staff to maintain the
vuxml db (and perhaps support for containerd and wakeonlan) would go a
_long_ way towards getting FreeBSD back onto the short list of popular
server operating systems.  Alas, none of these seems to be a priority
for the Board.

Roger Marquis