Re: firefox-104.0,2 crashing

From: Jesús Daniel Colmenares Oviedo <DtxdF_at_riseup.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2022 01:05:06 UTC
On Wed, 17 Aug 2022 15:36:19 -0700
David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 17, 2022 at 06:06:33PM -0400, Jesús Daniel Colmenares
> Oviedo wrote:
> > You need an entry in /etc/hosts for each display name in `xauth
> > list`. Look at my /etc/hosts:
> >
> > ```
> > $ egrep '^[^#]' /etc/hosts
> > ::1 localhost localhost.my.domain
> > 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.my.domain dtxdf-laptop
> > ```
> >
> > After adding an entry in the specified file, you must remove or
> > rename your profile application (~/.thunderbird or ~/.firefox):
> >
> > ```
> > mv ~/.thunderbird ~/.thunderbird.bak
> > ```
> >
> > This is necessary because your hostname will remain in the cache.
> >
> > Now, just run firefox and it should be fine.
>
> I think you must be doing something rather different (with
> firefox(/thunderbird)) than I do.  (Well, I don't use thunderbird, so
> there's that.)
>
> But:  I am not experiencing firefox crashes.  /etc/hosts has:
>
> g1-70(12.3-S)[2] grep -v '^#' /etc/hosts
> ::1                     localhost localhost.my.domain
> 127.0.0.1               localhost localhost.my.domain
> g1-70(12.3-S)[3]
>
> (and I don't mess with it: I use DNS for mapping hostnames to IP
> addresses; the machine in question is my laptop, which changes its IP
> address depending on what network it's using at the time).  I use
> dhclient-exit-hooks to assign the hostname, given the IP address (if
> there's a PTR record I can access; if not, I leave it as "localhost").
>
> (That said, I only change the hostname in /etc/dhclient-exit-hooks if
> xterm isn't running -- which I use as a proxy for "X11 is currently in
> use.")
>
> Thus, in the present case, the laptop's hostname is (still)
> g1-70.catwhisker.org -- which was assigned while the laptop & I were
> at home this morning, before xdm started up.  The laptop has been on a
> couple of other networks since (currently at work), but since I was
> logged in, and I always have at least one xterm window, the hostname
> didn't change (though the IP address did).
>
> <shrug> Maybe what I'm doing is weird, but it seems to work for me.
>
> This is currently running:
>
> g1-70(12.3-S)[5] uname -aUK
> FreeBSD g1-70.catwhisker.org 12.3-STABLE FreeBSD 12.3-STABLE #1267
> stable/12-n235542-7fb15b35cc2: Wed Aug 17 03:32:19 PDT 2022
> root@g1-70.catwhisker.org:/common/S1/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/CANARY
>  amd64 1203507 1203507
>
> g1-70(12.3-S)[6] pkg info -o firefox\*
> firefox-104.0_1,2              www/firefox
>
> from the "head" branch of the ports tree at main-n592370-7848dd1a26aa.
>
> Peace,
> david

But you are using DNS. Can you try to reproduce the problem without DNS?

I think you don't have the above problem because your hostname is
resolved.

And in my case, my hostname is resolved because I have an entry in
/etc/hosts, so firefox does not crash, but when I deleted that entry,
it crashes and it is necessary to move or delete the profile directory
as I specified above.

This is just my experience with firefox (and thunderbird).