Re: Where are all of the packages for FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE quarterly?

From: Bryan Drewery <bdrewery_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 02:17:16 UTC
On 9/22/2021 7:02 PM, D'Arcy Cain wrote:
> On 2021-09-21 6:42 a.m., Robert Clausecker wrote:
>> Hi D'Arcy,
>>
>> The quarterly branch is on py38 as the default Python version, so
>> if you want binary packages, install the py38- variants.  If you need
>> Python 3.9 variants of these packages, you have to build them yourself,
>> e.g. with Poudriere and suitable configuration for your set to set up
>> Python 3.9 as the default version.
>
> Is there a technical reason for such a limitation?  It seems to me that
> it would be very useful to include all supported flavours.  Heck,
> multiple Python versions of a python package can even be installed on
> the same server if desired.

Hm, there is no technical limitation that I am aware of. I think the
only valid concern is that it would increase the number of packages we
build dramatically [1], and it already takes absurd number of *days* to
do a full build. There is work ongoing to improve Poudriere's
incremental build times that I hope can give us enough room to enable
these but I suspect we will still need some compromises.

[1] details
Each of the currently supported versions:
_PYTHON_VERSIONS=               3.8 3.9 3.7 3.6 3.10 2.7
6 versions. I'll count it as 5 since 2.7 is a much smaller set at this
point. 4 more than currently.

How many default (3.8) python packages are there?
# pkg search py38|wc -l
    3414

4 * 3414 = 17070 more packages to build, on top of the current:

# pkg search .| wc -l
   31037

48107 packages total.

--