Re: Adding CPE information

From: Bernhard_Fröhlich <decke_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 13:39:07 UTC
On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 3:24 PM Guido Falsi <madpilot@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 14/10/21 13:07, Yasuhiro Kimura wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > It seems recently some committers are working to add CPE information
> > to many ports. I don't know why it started. But if it is intended to
> > add CPE information to all (or most of ) ports, isn't it better to
> > modify ports framework so CPE intormation is added to each ports by
> > default?
>
> AFAIK that's already in the tree. The framework tries to extrapolate CPE
> information from PORTNAME and other variables.
>

> Unluckily most of the time it is actually impossible to get correct
> information and some other variables with the correct details, which are
> not necessarily logical or in any way connected with the information
> already present) need to be added by hand after manual discovery.

That's correct. The CPE support in the portstree is in Mk/Uses/cpe.mk since
2014. The current attempt (chkcpe) is to add CPE_VENDOR and if needed
CPE_PRODUCT to as many ports as possible.

The problem is that CPE_VENDOR is a non deterministic value and often
multiple choice. So when you see a commit that adds CPE_VENDOR then
this is only the last part of the whole workflow.

http://github.com/decke/chkcpe

--
Bernhard Froehlich
http://www.bluelife.at/