Re: [REQUEST] Portfolio Performance

From: raf via ports <ports_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 02:34:03 UTC
On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 04:06:00AM +0200, Master One via freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Not an advert or SPAM, but indeed just a port request ;)
>
> Though not sure how this classifies as badly worded and how I should
> have written that request differently.
>

> On Sat, 2021-08-28 at 15:41 -0700, Lee Brown wrote:
> > It's meant to be a port request, i.e. will somebody please port this
> > FreeBSD, but badly worded.
> >
> > I marked it as SPAM before I saw the forum post where SirDice pointed
> > them
> > to this ML.  So no, not just you :)
> >
> > On Sat, Aug 28, 2021 at 2:46 PM Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Is it just me, or does this look suspiciously like an advert?
> > >
> > > -- Dave

I think it makes sense that a request for a new port
explain why the software is worth porting. I can also
imagine that it might be difficult to do this in a way
that doesn't sound like an advertisement for the
software. After all, the request is an attempt to
entice an existing porter to take on additional work.
That's inherently an attempt at persuasion.

The porting documentation I've seen only covers
creating a new port, not asking someone else to do so,
or giving advice on how best to do that.

I suppose the implicit recommendation is to learn about
FreeBSD porting, create the port, submit it, and hope
that it gets accepted:

  https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/porters-handbook/book/

There's a big learning curve, but on the plus side,
once you've created your first port, it should be much
easier the next time. :-)

cheers,
raf