Re: Initial development for veb(4), a lightweight Ethernet bridge for bhyve and vnet jails

From: Zhenlei Huang <zlei_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2026 01:21:15 UTC

> On Sep 22, 2026, at 4:02 AM, Aaron Espinoza <acesp25@freebsd.org> wrote:
> 
> Hello net@,
> 
> I'm Aaron Espinoza, a 2025 GSoC participant. This past summer, I worked on an initial veb(4)-style driver for FreeBSD, and I'd appreciate some feedback from the community.
> 
> Inspired by OpenBSD's veb(4), veb is a stripped L2 bridge aimed at bhyve and vnet jail topologies. It’s not meant to replace if_bridge(4). It leaves out features such as STP and pfil, and handles host membership through a dedicated vport interface.
> 
> Code and docs: https://github.com/Acesp25/freebsd-veb
> 
> docs/overview.md is the best starting point for why this driver was created, and docs/design.md lists each design decision with its rationale.
> 
> I'll be presenting this work at the Fall 2026 Vendor Summit and would value the list's feedback beforehand, particularly on:
>  - whether this work belongs in the src
>  - the implemented approach for vport explicit host membership
>  - anything in the design that may look wrong
>  - what the best practices are for creating benchmarks against if_bridge(4)
> 
> Best regards,
> Aaron Espinoza
> 
> 


Nice work !

Best regards,
Zhenlei